Contact Us  |  Home 
Enter an MLS number to go directly to that listing:    ex. 12345
Choose A Category: 
00428h.jpg
Old City Hall
Brunswick's Old City Hall has developed a split personality. This part-time city courthouse doubles as Brunswick's new venue of choice for everything from class reunions to wedding receptions. Built at a cost of $33,000, Old City Hall was fully restored with special purpose local option sales tax (SPLOST) dollars and reopened in 2004. Its gleaming heart-pine and marble floors, original vintage fireplaces and newly refitted gaslight fixtures lend an air of old fashioned elegance to any gathering. Construction on Old City Hall began in 1886 from an architectural design by Alfred Eichberg, and was completed in 1889, with the installation of the clock/bell tower in 1893. The architectural style is "Richardsonian Romanesque", with Queen Anne parallels. Massive in stature, with the unusual addition of Italianate brackets, Romanesque architecture was the style of choice for the majority of public buildings built in the United States during this period. Elaborate terra cotta friezes decorate our Old City Hall clock tower and side entries, while the corner columns adorned with gargoyles gaze welcomingly at you and your guests. The only facility of its kind open to the general public in Brunswick, Old City Hall offers a wonderful historic structure with elegant appointments at a modest price. For more information on renting the Old City Hall for a special event, click here.
 
Address:
1229 Newcastle Street
Brunswick GA 31520
 
old_stables_banner.png
Old Horse Stables Corner
WE SAVED THE OLD STABLES CORNER! The Successful Campaign to Preserve the Old Stables Corner The Land Trust mission is to preserve our island's natural and scenic character. Few things are more characteristic of the "old" St. Simons than this corner grove of magnificent oak trees and the memory of the old Sea Island Stables. Its loss would have been tragic, but thanks to so many, it is preserved in perpetuity.For over a year, the St. Simons Land Trust worked to acquire the site of the old Sea Island Stables on the corner of Frederica and Sea Island roads on St. Simons Island. The area that the Land Trust has now protected is a 2.3-acre wooded corner precisely where the Old Stables stood for more than 60 years - adding historic and sentimental value to the corner and importance to the preservation effort. Not only a significant island landscape, the Old Stables site is a reflection of the island's long-standing character and charm. It would have been a great loss to the community to lose this landmark corner to commercial development. The Campaign to Preserve the Old Stables Corner was announced on July 1, 2010, and completed on September 30. In fewer than 100 days the St. Simons and Sea Island communities rallied to raise $2.67 million to purchase, enhance and maintain this property for the public to enjoy - forever. "We owe a huge debt of gratitude to an anonymous donor who kicked things off with a $1.15-million gift," said Campaign Chairman Ben Slade, a founder and past chairman of the Land Trust. "And we're thankful to the more than 400 donors - full-time and part-time residents, as well as foundations - who took the campaign over the top. The campaign was also aided by more than 400 new and former members who joined, renewed, or increased their annual membership support. That part of our campaign continues." "It was an extraordinary effort by the board of directors and the Land Trust staff to raise such a large amount of money in such a short period of time," said Board Chairman Lee Richards. "Our success represents a lot of hard work by a lot of people and the tremendous support of our membership."
 
Address:
St Simons Island, Georgia 31522
 
Pier.JPG
St Simons Island Pier Cam
St. Simons Island Pier Located in Pier Village at the end of Mallery Street, the St. Simons Island Pier provides outdoor lighting along the full length of the pier thus making it a great location for an evening stroll after dinner. The pier overlooks St. Simons Sound which is visited annually by North Atlantic Right Whales, usually seen between December and March, as they migrate from northeastern United States to the calving area in southeastern United States. Other months of the year you can spot dolphin feeding along the coast and an occasional massive cargo ship passing by on its way to deliver hundreds of imported automobiles to the Port of Brunswick. St. Simons Island Pier offers tray tables and water hoses along the railings for those fishing to prepare their bait or clean their catch. Benches along each side of the pier offer those passing by a place to sit and watch the fishermen and crabbers reel in their day’s bounty or simply enjoy the views of Jekyll Island to the south. A short stroll from the local hardware store and bait & tackle shop in Pier Village makes it easy to purchase forgotten gear or bait. St. Simons Island Pier is said to be one of only three ocean piers on the Georgia coast with the others being Jekyll Island Pier and Tybee Island Ocean Pier.
 
Address:
St Simons Island, Georgia 31522
 
menu3.jpg
The Coastal Georgia Historical LighthouseSociety
The purpose of the Coastal Georgia Historical Society is to aid in the administration, restoration, and maintenance of those historic facilities and resources entrusted to its care so that they will be preserved as a living part of the historical and cultural foundations of our coastal community. In carrying out this trust, the Society is dedicated to collecting, restoring, and housing artifacts reflective of the culture and history of coastal Georgia and to promote awareness, knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the heritage of the area.
Contact: Sherri Jones
Phone: 912-638-4666
Fax: 912-638-6609
 
Address:
610 Beachview Drive
St Simons Island, Georgia 31522
 
15images.jpeg
The Cumberland Island Conservancy, Inc
Discover the Mysteries Welcome to Georgia's largest barrier island and one of the most spectacular natural habitats in the Northern Hemisphere. The greatest and most lasting value of the Island is its ability to change us. It is a place of transformation. It is this intangible feature that seems to be the most important benefit which Cumberland Island has for its guests. This spiritual quality is what, year after year, its visitors, residents, and Park Service employees seem to believe is its most important contribution to our people. The history of people on Cumberland Island is rich, varied and linked to the Island’s complex natural habitat. No one really knows how long human beings have used its resources for survival, or been inspired to create art, or simply taken solace in its awesome beauty. We know aboriginal people populated the coastal region of what we call Georgia as early as 2000 B.C. and that they enjoyed its diverse and delectable food sources, including oysters, crabs, fish, deer and bear. History that has a more specific record starts with the early Spanish missions in the 16th century. In the 1730s, James Edward Oglethorpe laid out two forts, one on each end of the Island. In the 1750s, aspiring planters came to the Island once slavery was allowed on its shores. After the American Revolution, prestigious families, such as that of Nathaniel Greene, became interested in Cumberland’s natural resources; the first mansion was built on the site we now know as Dungeness. The British were present at Cumberland early in the nineteenth century, and there are detailed descriptions of Robert Stafford’s plantation as it existed between 1815 and 1870. The Civil War had a profound effect on the Island’s human history, and Reconstruction saw both speculators and freed slaves trying to wrest a living out of the chaotic devastation the war had caused. In the early 1880s, Thomas Morrison Carnegie and his wife, Lucy Coleman Carnegie, came to the Island and established the family’s presence, which exists to the present day. In the 1960s the human population began to diversify somewhat as the land started to leave the exclusive holdings of individual families, and the evolution of the National Seashore began.
 
 
 
SmallestChurch_thumb_6e7214270d7f2ba559771eb9bec2787e.jpg
The Smallest Church In AmericaCHRIST'S CHAPEL IN MEMORY PARK
The Smallest Church in America CHRIST'S CHAPEL IN MEMORY PARK Located in north McIntosh County, this little sanctuary has become a stop for thousands of I-95 and US Highway 17 travelers. Situated near the South Newport River, the church was constructed in 1949, and represented a dream come true for Mrs. Anges Harper, a local grocer. She wanted the chapel to serve as a place of meditation and rest for weary travelers. Although small, the structure is not lacking in character and beauty with stained glass windows imported from England. Local ministers still lead non-denominational worship there every third Sunday and the church is very popular for it remains one of the most unique structures along the Georgia Coast Scenic Byway. (ust south of I-95 exit 67, on GA Hwy. 17, 10 minutes from
 
Address:
Shellman Bluff, Georgia
 

Choose A Category: